468. Action Memorandum From the President’s Special Assistant (Rostow) to President Johnson1
Washington, December 12, 1967.
- PL 480 Agreement with Uruguay
Herewith a unanimous recommendation that you authorize negotiating a $19.3 million PL 480 agreement with Uruguay.2
Uruguay needs this assistance. The loan has been carefully coordinated with the Agricultural Sector Loan you authorized last June. The new Uruguayan President3 has pledged to support the economic recovery program launched by President Gestido which the PL 480 and Sector loans are designed to support.
I recommend approval.
- Source: Johnson Library, National Security File, Country File, Uruguay, Vol. I, 1/64–12/68. No classification marking.↩
- Attached but not printed are memoranda to the President from Schultze, December 7, and Gaud and Acting Secretary of Agriculture Schnittker, December 1.↩
- President Gestido died on December 6; he was succeeded by Vice President Jorge Pacheco Areco.↩
- The President checked this option.↩