374. Telegram From President Johnson to the Assistant Secretary of State for Inter-American Affairs (Mann) in Panama1
Washington, January 11, 1964, 5:34 p.m.
CAP 64016. Reference your CINCSO 110840Z SC1118A.2
- We have full confidence in you and in Vance, and fully concur in what you have done so far.
- We agree in essence with your recommendation in last paragraph of reftel and also with you and Vance on flag issue.
- You should tell President that we cannot negotiate under pressure of violence and breach of relations and that therefore his demand for agreement to structural revision of treaties is unacceptable.
- You should also tell him that in the appropriate circumstances and when peace has been restored, we will give sympathetic welcome to discussion of all troubles and problems with our Panamanian friends.