255. Memorandum From the Deputy Director of Coordination for Intelligence and Research (Carter) to the Director of the Bureau of Intelligence and Research (Hughes)1
- ARA–Agency Meeting of May 6, 1964
- ARA—Mr. Mann, Mr. Adams, Mr. Pryce, Mr. Dentzer; Agency—Col. King, [name not declassified]; INR/DDC—Mr. Carter
Tom Mann referred to the attached communication2 from our Chargé in Santiago indicating that [less than 1 line of source text not declassified] has been making indiscreet remarks about U.S. Government aid for Chile.
Mann said the people on the ground are apparently right, that we must have a low noise level.
[name not declassified] said he had always thought [name not declassified] “indiscreet”, and added that what he didn’t like was [name not declassified] trying to bleed us and not pay himself. (See attachment #2.)3[Page 571]
King said we should decide whether we will give money to the [name not declassified] group. Mann interjected that [name not declassified] was a blabbermouth. King agreed, but pointed out the influence [name not declassified] has [less than 1 line of source text not declassified]. Mann wanted to know how much money was involved and King thought roughly $300,000 from the private sector.
Mann said there was some question now of whether the private sector should give any support. He said he would see [name not declassified] the next day and that we owed it to him to tell him [name not declassified] is talking. Mann’s inclination is to back away right now in view of what [name not declassified] has said. Mann then asked, “do you agree I advise him to lay off”?
The consensus of those present was in the affirmative.
[name not declassified] said the post had recommended [less than 1 line of source text not declassified] for [name not declassified], but that he himself thought [less than 1 line of source text not declassified] would be better.
King explained that the money could be passed in such a way that “[name not declassified] will know he is under obligation but will be unable to prove it.”
Mann said he just wanted to be sure [name not declassified] stayed in the race. King and Dentzer wanted to lay on some conditions beyond just staying in the race, which they said [name not declassified] would do anyway.
Mann summed up by saying we had agreed on three things:
- “1) We have decided to give [name not declassified] money.
- “2) I will advise [name not declassified] to stay out and
- “3) on Frei, go all out—give him whatever he needs.”
King wanted to know if he could give [less than 1 line of source text not declassified] now. He thought this need not go to the Special Group. Mann agreed provided the Agency had the leeway to give it. But he said King should meantime look at the effect this has on the Frei position.
Mann remarked that Chargé Jova’s reporting had become sharper in the past few days. He said he was getting more respect for Jova.
Mann also told J.C. King to check in with Jova when King returns to Chile. King, a bit unhappily, replied “if that’s the way you want it.”
Subsequent to the meeting Pryce informed King, [name not declassified] and me that Hurwitch will go to Chile immediately, but that Belton will not go at present, though he may go a month or so before the elections. Belton has just been in Chile in connection with his POLAD work at CINCSOUTH and this gave Jova a chance to consult with him.