224. Memorandum From the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (Wheeler) to Secretary of Defense Clifford 1
Washington, December 19, 1968.
- FY 1970 Defense Budget Discussion with the President (U)
- (U) Reference is made to my memorandum, dated 26 November 1968,2 which contained information on the forthcoming FY 1970 defense budget discussion with the President.3
- (U) A copy of the statement that I plan to give and the illustrative examples to be discussed by each Service Chief are attached for your information.
- (C) Since information concerning many budgetary and force level decisions is not available at this time, it may be necessary to revise the illustrative examples prior to meeting with the President. I shall appreciate an opportunity to discuss with you the time and place for our meeting with the President.
- (U) Without enclosures, this memorandum is Confidential.
Earle G. Wheeler
- Source: Johnson Library, National Security File, Agency File, JCS, Filed by the LBJ Library, Box 29. Top Secret.↩
- Not found. A 21-page “Summary of Recommendations by the Secretary of Defense and Related Recommendations by the Joint Chiefs of Staff with FY 70 Budget Implications,” November 19, 1968, and a 4-page list, entitled “Remaining Significant FY 70 Budget Disagreements between the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Secretary of Defense,” also dated November 19, are in the Library of Congress, Manuscript Division, Nitze Papers, Top Secret File, Box 1.↩
- The Joint Chiefs of Staff, along with Secretary of Defense Clifford, Walt Rostow, and others, met with the President in the Cabinet Room of the White House on December 26, 11:17 a.m.–12:25 p.m. (Johnson Library, President’s Daily Diary) No summary record of this meeting has been found.↩