207. Memorandum From the Assistant Secretary of State for International Organization Affairs (Sisco) to Acting Secretary of State Ball1
- Goldberg Meeting with Fanfani
Goldberg saw Fanfani this afternoon (November 24) and informed him that we are actively working on a response to his letter and that our answer would come soon. Fanfani confirmed that one of his sources is Lapira. There are two other points of interest which Fanfani mentioned to Goldberg. Fanfani said that one of the sources reported to him orally that Ho Chi Minh said that he is so eager to get this settled that he would be willing even to go to Washington. Fanfani also told Goldberg that both sources had told him orally that their impression is that there is very deep suspicion in Hanoi of Peking.
Today’s conversation between Goldberg and Fanfani is being reported to us more fully by letter overnight.2
The Bombing Pause and the Diplomatic Peace Initiative. November 17-December 31
- Source: Department of State, EA/ACA Files: Lot 69 D 412, Vietnam Negotiations, Fanfani. Secret; Eyes Only. Copies were sent to U. Alexis Johnson and William Bundy.↩
- Letter from Yost to Sisco, November 25, attached to a memorandum from Sisco to Rusk, November 26. (Ibid.)↩
- Printed from a copy that bears this typed signature.↩