364. National Security Action Memorandum No. 501
- Dr. Edward C. Welsh, Executive Secretary, National Aeronautics and Space Council
- Official Announcements of Launching Into Space of Systems Involving Nuclear Power in Any Form
The President desires to reserve to himself all first official announcements covering the launching into space of systems involving nuclear power in any form. The President is especially concerned with announcements relating to the planned use of SNAP devices aboard Transit satellites which are tentatively scheduled for launching in June and July of 1961. Will you please advise members of the Space Council of the President’s interest.
- Source: National Archives and Records Administration, RG 59, S/S-NSC Files: Lot 72 D 316, NSAM–50, Signed by McGeorge Bundy. Confidential. Copies were sent to the President’s Press Secretary, Director of the U.S. Information Agency, Evelyn Lincoln, and Bromley Smith.↩
- Printed from a copy that bears this typed signature.↩