295. Telegram From the Department of State to the Embassy in Somalia0
15. Presidential determination for “impact package” signed June 29. Package to be delivered in two shipments, first comprising 12 106 mm recoilless rifles mounted on jeeps with spares and ammo to arrive end September or early October. While recognizing problem presented by introduction new vehicle, modification mounts for use with Land Rovers presents technical problems which would delay shipment. We have accordingly decided proceed with jeeps. Second part of impact package to arrive January/February will comprise following engineering equipment:
- 1 motorized 10-ton roller
- 2 motorized heavy graders
- 1 scraper
- 2 16-cu yd concrete mixers
- 2 angle-dozer cables
- 2 medium tractors
- Spares for above and related maintenance equipment.
Mobile training teams to arrive concurrently with equipment.
Above information to be treated as Noforn.1
- Source: Department of State, Central Files, DEF 19-3 US-SOMALI. Confidential. Drafted by Post on July 3, cleared by Whitfield (DOD) and Kyle (AID) in substance, and approved by Witman. Repeated to Addis Ababa and Nairobi and by pouch to Rome, London, Bonn, and Paris (for CINCEUR).↩
- The telegram is unsigned.↩