435. Telegram From the Headquarters of the Commander in Chief, Atlantic to the Headquarters of the Commander in Chief, Atlantic Fleet0
212136Z. Planning Directive CINCLANT No. 118-62.1
- COMJTF 122 OPLAN 314-62
- COMJTF 122 OPLAN 316-61
- CINCLANTOPLAN 314-61
- CINCLANTOPLAN 316-61
- General: A blockade of Cuba could bring Cuban economy to standstill in relatively short time. Effect on Cuban economy would be particularly disastrous with respect to POL. CINCLANT forces will be prepared to conduct a naval and air blockade of Cuba in accordance with provisions of this planning directive and other guidance received by higher authority. When this plan is executed, steps must be taken to ensure rapid execution of CINCLANTOPLAN 312-61, or 312-62. All commands should be alert to execute plans ordered in event action escalates to involve Soviet bloc military forces.
- Friendly forces: Commander in Chief, U.S. Strike
- Provides USSTRICOM forces as directed by JCS.
- Designates, or assures designation of, commander to serve as JTF 122 Air Force Task Force Commander for planning and execution of this directive.
- Provides, or arranges for provision of, Air Force personnel to augment the staff of JTF 122 upon execution of this directive.
- Mission: CINCLANT will, when directed, conduct a naval and air blockade of Cuba in order to bring about a collapse of the Communist economy of Cuba.
Execution and operations: If blockade of Cuba is declared, operations will be conducted as presently provided for in Annexes I to references A and B.
- Joint Task Force, JTF 122
- When directed, assume operational control of assigned forces, establish and conduct a naval and air blockade of Cuba. Provide for [Page 1083] defense of blockading forces from enemy air, surface, and subsurface forces.
- Provide a Commander Naval Task Force and naval forces with their logistic support, as directed, to COMJTF 122.
- Direct defense of the naval base at GTMO, when blockade is declared.
Coordinating instructions: This directive is effective for planning upon receipt. It will be effective for operations when directed. Annexes I to references A and B are considered to be sufficient to support this directive. Additional plans are not required from subordinates.
- Logistics: In accordance with CINCLANT OPORDER 1-61 and appropriate portions of Annexes J to references C and D.
- Command and signal: Command relations are in accordance with appropriate portions of Annexes C of references C and D. Communications in accordance Annex K of reference C.
- Source: Kennedy Library, National Security Files, Countries Series, Cuba, Cables, 9/9/62-9/21/62. Top Secret; Priority. Also sent to COMJTF 122, COMANTDEFCOM, and CINCSTRIKE. Repeated for information to JCS, CNO, AJCC Ft. Richie, COM 19th AF, COMCARIBSEAFRON, and ALTCOMLANT.↩
- None of the references in this telegram has been found. For brief summaries of CINCLANT Operations Plans 314-61, 316-61, and 312-62, see Document 439.↩