888.2553/10–951: Telegram

No. 110
The United States Representative at the United Nations (Austin) to the Department of State

secret
priority

443. Re Iran. Jebb called on Gross this afternoon and agreed on text of res as sent to Dept in immediately following tel.1 Our acceptance of language in first para of operative part was on basis of the agreed language on principles as set forth in Usun 428 of October [Page 219] 5, page 3.2 Jebb agreed to this, saying London had not objected to this agreed language, which had been reported to FonOff October 5. He said he would work it into his statement speaking to res.

It was agreed preferable to drop para 3 of operative part in order to leave parties as free as possible from feeling of SC supervision.

Re timing Gross said we would go along with UK decision, but would much prefer meeting not before Monday.3 This would give UK more time to negotiate 7 votes with other dels and, besides, understood Mosadeq feels justified on score of health in hoping for meeting not before at least Saturday. Gross said Muniz (Brazil) seemed to want longer delay rather than shorter and he reported that Rau (India) while having no instructions except to try to have door kept open for negotiation, seemed also to want delay. After indicating preference for Friday if 7 votes obtained by that time, Jebb finally said he would inform London he proposed to have draft circulated by secretariat Saturday and to ask for meeting Monday. He admitted that if there was wobbling on 7th vote it would be necessary anyway to postpone beyond Friday. When asked what UK Govt would do in event 7 votes not obtained, he replied he had no idea and would have to seek instructions if this came to pass.

Regarding cosponsorship, he said he assumed UK would present res alone. He was authorized to ask whether US would cosponsor but assumed we would not. Gross confirmed we would not but reverted to Jebb’s statement this morning that UK wanted to consult Turkey, India and Yugo re cosponsorship. Jebb said there was no harm in trying this and would do so.

Gross said he was authorized to inquire UK reaction to idea of res being tabled soon and SC meeting not being held until after UK elections. He emphasized that was not proposal, but only query. Speculating this would probably mean next SC meeting around October 29, Jebb wondered whether Mosadeq would like idea. Gross stated belief Iranian Prime Minister anxious not to have to make his speech and would welcome added time for negotiation. Jebb said he would put this up to London. He was inclined to think not bad idea. Gross thought if UK interested this it was most important matter to get decision on since it would materially alter tactical approach.

Gross wondered whether it might be good idea for Jebb and himself visit Mosadeq to discuss res. Jebb said it might be but not until 7th vote obtained. He would ask instructions from FonOff. He then announced he would now send draft in confidence to members [Page 220] other than USSR and ascertain reaction. He dispatched Coulson on the spot to prepare appropriate letters of transmittal and evidently planned to go into action soonest.

After meeting Gross informed Lacoste in general of above developments.

Austin
  1. Telegram 444, from New York, Oct. 9. (888.2553/10–951) The text of the draft resolution is in U.N. document S/2358/Rev.1.
  2. Not printed.
  3. Oct. 15.