S/S–NSC files, lot 63 D 351, NSC 36 Series
Memorandum by the Secretary of State to the Executive Secretary of the
National Security Council (Lay)1
- NSC 36/1 “Stockpiling of Aviation Gasoline in Turkey.”
The conclusions of NSC 36/1, approved by the President on April 21, 1949,2 required the Department of State to keep under continuous review the question of seeking an arrangement with the Turkish Government for the construction of the airfields envisaged in NSC 36 and the stockpiling of aviation gasoline as proposed in the Secretary of Defense’s memorandum of April 2, 1949 to the Executive Secretary of the NSC.3 It had been concluded at that time that circumstances were not favorable for seeking such arrangements with the Turkish Government.
With respect to airfield construction, arrangements have since been reached with the Turkish Government within other terms of reference, and construction work undertaken, on which a report to the Council is now in preparation.
With respect to the stockpiling of aviation gasoline, the Department of State believes that circumstances now are favorable for Council reconsideration of the proposal of the Secretary of Defense. The American Embassy at Ankara reports that, under certain conditions, it would be timely and appropriate to make an approach to the Turkish authorities with respect to the aviation gasoline project. The American Embassy in Moscow does not consider that possible Soviet reaction to the stockpiling of aviation gasoline in Turkey should be considered a determining factor in case a decision has been reached within this Government on the basis of military necessity. Moreover, the admittance of Turkey into the North Atlantic Treaty Organization places the project in a new light.
It is accordingly requested that this memorandum and the enclosed discussion of the problem be circulated for the information [Page 882] of the Council and referred to the Senior Staff for preparation of appropriate recommendations.
- Drafted by Moore (NEA/GTI); cleared with S/P, C, and EUR; and transmitted to the National Security Council with a covering memorandum by Lay, Apr. 18.↩
- See NSC Action No. 205. [Footnote in the source text. Regarding NSC Action No. 205, see the editorial note in Foreign Relations, 1949, vol. vi, p. 1644. NSC 36/1 is printed ibid., p. 1654.]↩
- See Memo for NSC from Executive Secretary, subject, “Stockpiling of Aviation Gasoline in Turkey,” dated Apr. 4, 1949. [Footnote in the source text. Regarding that memorandum, see the editorial note, ibid., p. 1644.]↩
- Ellipses in this document are in the source text.↩