PPS files, lot 64 D 563, “Natl Sec (civil defense)”
Memorandum to the National Security Council by the Executive Secretary (Lay)1
- Summary Evaluation of the Net Capability of the USSR to Inflict Direct Injury on the United States up to July 1, 1955
The enclosed views of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Central Intelligence Agency, the Interdepartmental Intelligence Conference and the Interdepartmental Committee on Internal Security with respect to the reference report on the subject are transmitted herewith for the information of the Council in connection with its discussion of NSC 140/1 at its meeting on June 4, 1953.
It is requested that special security precautions be observed in the handling of the enclosures and that access to each copy be strictly limited and individually controlled on an absolute need-to-know basis.
- Copies to the Secretary of the Treasury; the Attorney General; the Directors of Defense Mobilization and Central Intelligence; the Chairmen of the Atomic Energy Commission, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Interdepartmental Intelligence Conference, and the Interdepartmental Committee on Internal Security; and the Federal Civil Defense Administrator.↩
- Dated May 18, p. 328.↩
- Not printed; it transmitted to the National Security Council additional and revised materials for NSC 140/1 that are included in the printed version of NSC 140/1.↩
- Special Estimate 36, “Soviet Capabilities for Attack on the United States through mid-1955” is in INR files, lot 58 D 528, “Special Estimates”; NSIE–l cannot be further identified.↩
- A notation on the source text reads “Via Liaison”.↩
- Not printed.↩
- Not printed.↩