91. Telegram From Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida to the Central Intelligence Agency1
297. 1. Following views are presented for HQS consideration:
A. White Paper2 has effectively exposed certain aspects of PBSUCCESS, probably more to come. Stage One report clearly recognized this possibility (cover page and page 2). Stage Two was implemented to explore and probe potential assets, testing while developing.3
2. Aside from KUHOOK camps and limited KUFIRE progress, other operations not even implemented to date. Assessment thus far has been favorable to good.4 Losses sustained by arrests and exposé not believed irreparable providing no lessening in determination develops.
C. Believe remaining assets will deteriorate rapidly if any doubts or evidence of abandonment permitted, thus effectively destroying what appears to be only known substance to resistance.5 Our pressure, once applied, should not be released but intensified. Nothing is more demoralizing than on–again, off–again.
2. Current situation however requires careful consideration. The enemy has played a strong card which we must be prepared to counter and exploit or withdraw.
3. Exploitable factors:
- By admitting a plot of sufficient gravity to demand a white paper, the enemy has actually given to the anti-Communist forces a stature and publicity they have never before had.
- The enemy has confessed to a deep division within the country, thus sharpening the issue in everyone’s mind.6
- The enemy has publicized outside aid to the opposition, thus raising the opposition’s hope.
4. Counter-action: [Page 182]
- Have Calligeris make radio reply confirming his intention to devote himself to the freedom of his people, thus converting him to a public stand on issues and overt status.
- Endeavor obtain similar statement from Somoza. Of course he is anti–Communist and all refugees from tyranny are welcomed and assisted in his country. His is a free country, unlike WSBURNT.
- Once Calligeris in overt status, PBSUCCESS would continue build–up, utilizing most covert/clandestine procedures possible.7
- ODYOKE officials could evidence attitude that history repeats itself in WSBURNT. Oppressed people are struggling for freedom midst wild Communist charges. This will go on as elsewhere until liberty is restored.
- Other anti–Communist countries in Caribbean area should be encouraged to support Somoza stand.
- Establish committee for freedom of WSBURNT overtly to counteract Communist blasts and to provide courage to resist, faith and hope. (Present time, enemy has both initiative and advantage.)
5. Steps in furtherance of para 4 above:
- LINCOLN has requested Calligeris and [name not declassified] to prepare radio address for Calligeris. Being [Bring] cable for HQS approval.
- LINCOLN ready prepare suggested Somoza stand for transmittal via Calligeris after HQS approval.
- LINCOLN would proceed securely, using full clandestine techniques,8 insisting upon controls throughout. No departure from present plans.9
- This is HQS action and in keeping present ODYOKE stand from which retirement would be difficult.
- HQS action with LINC through Calligeris/[name not declassified].
- LINCOLN would submit proposal to HQS for approval before implementation.
6. Advise soonest. Meanwhile Calligeris and Seekford being kept separated and in safe lodging for cooling off period or re–direction.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency Job 79-01025A, Box 1, Folder 3. Secret; Priority; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS.↩
- Handwritten marginal note: “[illegible]—’White paper’ only thing to be carded.”↩
- Handwritten marginal note: “quite agree.” The Stage One report is Document 62.↩
- Handwritten marginal note: “Question fair to good aspect of assessment.”↩
- Handwritten marginal note: “fluff.”↩
- Handwritten marginal note: “?”↩
- Handwritten marginal note: “?”↩
- Handwritten marginal note: “Do they have that capability.”↩
- Handwritten marginal note: “good if poss.”↩