64. Memorandum for the Record1
Washington, November 11, 1953.
- With reference to my recent memorandum2 regarding the PBSUCCESS budget I have now been informed by CPP that the DCI has secured the $3,000,0003 in question from the Bureau of the Budget. (I have been given to understand that Mr. Dulles, General Smith, and Mr. Dodge had a conference and that minutes of this meeting were written to serve as authorization for the above.)
- I was further given to understand that DCI had instructed DDA (Mr. White) to handle the necessary details in respect to securing the funds without undue delay.
- Confirming our yesterday’s conversation I would recommend:
- That a PBSUCCESS working group have a meeting before the end of this week in order to ascertain the current status of the project as well as plans for the immediate future, and
- That a general briefing on PBSUCCESS be prepared for DCI, DDCI, DDP and COP. This briefing should be scheduled for the week of 16 November 1953.
Hans V. Tofte