266. Telegram From the Central Intelligence Agency to the CIA Station in Guatemala1
Washington, June 30, 1954, 2352Z.
07299. For JMBLUG and Bannister from Ascham, Ordway and Whiting.
- To JMBLUG and all hands at Station heartiest congratulations upon outcome developments past forty-eight hours. Great victory has been won and what is now required is consolidation of achievements and shoring up of gains.
- Accomplishments of KUBARK station have been outstanding and all hands should know that all at hqs realize what they have achieved under extraordinarily difficult circumstances.
- Concerning role played by JMBLUG although no surprise to those of us familiar with his record, we would like him to know we feel he has surpassed even our greatest expectations. He can take great comfort and satisfaction from fact that his accomplishments are already well known and fully appreciated in all important quarters of govt. His inspiring and steadfast leadership and his wholehearted support and cooperation with our efforts and our personnel are deeply appreciated and we trust he not disappointed that we embarked upon this operation together.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 9, Folder 4. Secret; Priority; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS. Drafted by Wisner and approved by DCI Dulles. Repeated to Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida.↩