267. Telegram From Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida to the Mission Broadcasting Station1
[place not declassified], July 1, 1954, 1618Z.
4575. For Cadick.
- Word received mtg broken off due unacceptable demands both sides. Calligeris apparently insists on right entering Adam leading his army liberation. Monzon demanding remain number one for 30 days.
- Both demands are unreasonable. Calligeris insistence on triumphal march would antagonize army upon which he must lean for support. Monzon’s position strengthens with each hour that passes.
- Hqs expects Calligeris might return soon to somerset or Tegu and desires Cadick or Ontrich (with SKILLET) make immediate effort to turn him around and go back to DTFROGS soonest for resumption of discussions. Further Calligeris must be told unless he becomes reasonable he will lose his friends quickly.
- Although everyone PBSUCCESS very anxious have Calligeris succeed in final step same time cannot support hostilities between anti-Communists. Request you impress upon him high moral principles involved which must not become sacrificed for vanity or personal interests.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 6, Folder 7. Secret; Operational Immediate; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS. Repeated to the Station in Guatemala and the Director of Central Intelligence.↩