265. Telegram From the Central Intelligence Agency to Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida1
Washington, June 30, 1954, 2352Z.
- To Playdon, Dunbar, and all hands at LINC as well as all elements of PBSUCCESS complex: Heartiest congratulations upon outcome developments past forty-eight hours.4 A great victory has been won. This victory is the more notable by virtue of the extreme difficulties of the operation and the odds which were recognized to be against our chances of success from the outset. The energy and devotion of the personnel at LINC and the field Stations has been truly exceptional and has served as an inspiration and a challenge to all of us at hqs.
- It is requested that LINC pass on the foregoing to all appropriate elements of PBSUCCESS field complex and at full strength. Hqs assumes LINC will have its own special messages to send to the field but desires to have hqs congratulations expressed as well.
- Not necessary to repeat hqs congratulations to Guat and [place not declassified] because this done directly by refs. These messages were thus sent by hqs for special reason that JMBLUG and SKILLET key members team effort WSBURNT and WSHOOFS parts of operation and had their initial briefings and indoctrination from hqs. Accordingly it seemed appropriate hqs extend congratulations to them both as members of the true team effort and individually.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 9, Folder 4. Secret; Priority; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS. Drafted by Wisner.↩
- Document 266.↩
- Dated June 30. (Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 9, Folder 4)↩
- The following sentence was deleted from the original text: “(Although matter obviously not finally resolved.)”↩