262. Telegram From the CIA Station in Guatemala to Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida1
003. 1. TGW at 1545 announced junta taking all steps to effect cessation of hostilities.
2. Believe we must have in mind [name not declassified] will try consolidate his power by delay in talks. Fundamentally [name not declassified] is hostile to Calligeris as he stated [less than 1 line of source text not declassified]. Do not believe him above taking advantage cessation air activities to delay cease-fire orders to army and thus wipe out Calligeris ground forces.
3. Therefore repeat our recommendation Calligeris arrive here tomorrow with fighter escort. Suggest SHERWOOD announce this and request great public demonstration at airport. Also have plane at same time drop “Nuestro Libertador” post D-day leaflets.
4. Repeat Calligeris has massive public support and bloodshed will occur in city if he does not arrive soonest.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 11, Folder 6. Secret; Operational Immediate; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS. Repeated to the Director of Central Intelligence.↩