263. Telegram From the CIA Station in Guatemala to Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida1
002. 1. This is to fill you in on nights developments.
2. Holland called JMBLUG approx 2230 about DTFROGS mtg.
3. JMBLUG met at Jefatura Fuerzas Armadas with STANDEL–1 and SUMAC–2 approx 0100 June 29 to pass Holland’s message.
4. Approx 0400, ODUNIT attaché called JMBLUG out of meeting. Jose Luis Cruz had been to see him, said pro-Calligeris officers had taken Base Militar 2000 June 29. Said new junta formed, would march on Jefatura building shortly to seize STANDEL–1, SUMAC–2.[Page 408]
5. JMBLUG decided stay so as not tip hand.
6. [name not declassified] phoned, asked JMBLUG come to palace. JMBLUG declined. [name not declassified] said he would be at Jefatura right away.
7. STANDEL–1, SUMAC–2 excused themselves, conferred briefly. Came back, said they planned resign.
8. New junta arrived, surrounded Jefatura, marched into conference room armed. Took over.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 11, Folder 6. Secret; Operational Immediate; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS. Repeated to the Director of Central Intelligence.↩