260. Telegram From the CIA Station in Guatemala to Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida1
999. 1. [1 line of source text not declassified]
2. [less than 1 line of source text not declassified] his only ambition is obtain cease fire and end of “useless” slaughter.
3. He sending plane to Zacapa in attempt land there [1 line of source text not declassified]. I warned him that plane might be shot down and it would be advisable to waggle wings etc if approached.
4. He preparing [less than 1 line of source text not declassified] asking for cease fire and immediate start discussions with Calligeris.
5. My impression is that govt here so completely shaken they will make only half hearted attempt to establish any conditions.
6. ESSENCE has many men ready though they without arms at moment. However irregulars from Via Canales area may start moving in immediately.
7. Saw some of Salama prisoners. They horribly beaten. Several were assassinated by guards.
8. [name not declassified] stated that STANDEL 1 had forced him into deal with help certain army officers which had obliged him play cagey game and arrange for inside coup. [1 line of source text not declassified] Believe nobody desirous of occupying hot seat at this moment.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 11, Folder 5. Secret; Operational Immediate; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS. Repeated to the Director of Central Intelligence.↩