249. Telegram From Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida to the Central Intelligence Agency1
[place not declassified], June 28, 1954, 0816Z.
- Urge favorable reply soonest JMBLUG’s acceptance offer of good offices to mediate situation as it affords such obvious advantage it should not be passed up particularly with possibility OAS team appearing on scene 28 June.
- LINC also believes every effort should be made to follow up this maneuver as rapidly as possible with show of strength and does not concur with JMBLUG’s suggestion we let up on bombing Adam. June 28 could be decisive date therefore both SHERWOOD and Somerset have been directed to increase not let up the pressure.
- Conditions of cease-fire established in LINC 4362 (IN 22435)4 are reasonable and minimal. Removal of Arbenz already partial step and others should be undertaken soonest. If JMBLUG mediates he could say he has heard Calligeris terms on radio and would like to receive STANDEL–1’s terms if a cease fire is to be arranged.
- Transmittal of msgs to Calligeris could be accomplished overtly as public knows he maintains residence in Tegu.
- Needless to say Lincoln fully concurs with JMBLUG’s unwillingness to see Calligeris discarded at this time.