248. Telegram From Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida to the CIA Station in Guatemala1
[place not declassified], June 28, 1954, 0634Z.
4462. For Ontrich.
- Dir urgently recommends Calligeris [less than 1 line of source text not declassified] emphatically declare independence from UFCO and allay labor fears liberation regime might return to Ubico2 methods. Discuss this immediately with [name not declassified], urging him (a) make press statement immediately emphasizing this labor thesis and statement for occasion, (b) prepare appropriate statement for Calligeris to be made suitable moment, as soon as possible, possibly to be included into Calligeris general statement of policy.
- Such statements should emphasize:
- Present labor union leadershiphall usurped by Commies, tied in with Moscow-led WFTU, CTAL. These Commie leaders must go.
- Future labor unions will be protected against Commie infiltration and against intimidation or other restrictions by either domestic or foreign employers. Free union elections, collective bargaining, other basic labor rights guaranteed.
- Liberation govt will protect interests entire people against any predatory financial powers, whether domestic or foreign. Unlike Commies who used UFCO only as propaganda stick, not finding any solution, new govt will reduce role foreign capital in line with country’s economic interests, eliminating all traces obsolete colonialism. Reference to “new colonialism” in Commie satellites exploiting them for Russia.
- Advise immediately LINC, Dir, result your talk with [name not declassified], report further action taken by him.