247. Telegram From Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida to the Mission Broadcasting Station1
[place not declassified], June 28, 1954, 0558Z.
4459. For Langevin and Cadick.
- Arbenz is out but Diaz2 refuses to accept Calligeris’s terms. Only 500 regular army and 2500 untrained reserves in Adam.
- Immediately inform public what has happened and that if cease and terms LINC 4362 (IN 22435)3 not complied with immediately SYNCARP will launch all out bombing attack and assault and destroy all those not joining anti-Communist forces. Communism must go and Diaz must agree to terms or army of liberation will continue its victorious march to Adam and fight Communists to last one.
- Appeal to people that Communist Arbenz has resigned, first victory won and everyone should now join side of liberation movement for a greater WSBURNT. The government is obviously crumbling and further bloodshed futile. Prepare leaflets for troops in field.
- Tell Diaz bombings to start noon 28 June and will not stop until liberation army occupies palace or Diaz agrees to terms announced.
- Target but don’t announce for noon 28 June is Matamoros again and knock out brief pilots from Langevin’s staff or [name not declassified]. Put on maximum air show. Strafe all AA batteries.
- SHERWOOD to keep steady strong appeal that anti-Communists are victorious and Diaz must agree cease fire before hundreds of innocent army men die in lost cause. Only way to stop bloodshed is to drive communism out. No other solution acceptable.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 6, Folder 6. Secret; Operational Immediate; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS. Repeated to [name not declassified] and the Director of Central Intelligence.↩
- The CIA believed that Diaz was a “veteran trained Communist, graduate Commie military agent school Prague, Czechoslovakia preparing Moscow activities throughout Latin America.” (Telegram 4478 from PBSUCCESS Headquarters to various Stations, June 28; ibid.)↩
- Dated June 26. (Ibid., Folder 5)↩