204. Telegram From the CIA Station in Guatemala to Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida1
Guatemala City, June 18, 1954, 1504Z.
887. Re LINC 3966 para 5.2
- Assume from ref all air potentially at Calligeris disposal.
- Trust you realize this completely incompatible with role you contemplated for [name not declassified]. Appears you intending give [name not declassified] (the hope for swinging army) only Station “persuasion”, while Calligeris gets all the muscle.
- As repeatedly stated, [name not declassified] needs all available air 18 June to create emergency on which he can capitalize.
- [name not declassified] also must be able call on air 19 June to follow up his coup if successful.
- Evident Calligeris shock troops do not need air protection where no air opposition exists. Shock troops also bring own gear, so have not priority need for resupply.
- Please confirm that air available to [name not declassified] as requested.