174. Telegram From the CIA Station in Guatemala to Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida1
780. 1. Govt declared suspension constitutional guarantees at 4 a.m. 8 June.
2. This most drastic step taken in recent times by WSBURNT govt.
3. Morning edition Impacto seized.
4. Declaration curfew possible.
5. Plane reported dropped leaflets over Quetzaltenango night 7 June.
6. Fear panic spreading in government circles and offices. Constant meetings govt high command with Fortuny ranking Commies attending. Fortuny allegedly successfully recommending policy appeasement toward ODYOKE. Bannister comment: Believe govt becoming desperate attempting shore up position. Suspension guarantees and subsequent activities repression may rebound govt detriment rather than benefit. Consider army key situation and believe army situation again becoming fluid. Flight ESODICS caused sensation showed army not whole heartedly supporting govt. Individual army officers griping at constant state alert and believed dissatisfaction could mount to point action if govt makes foolish moves in attempting keep afloat. Sources: ESPARTO, ESCHEL, ESPERANCE, ESCONSON–2.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 11, Folder 3. Secret; Priority; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS. Repeated to the Director of Central Intelligence.↩