139. Telegram From the Central Intelligence Agency to Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida1
48937. 1. After intensive study HQs re withdrawal military mission WSBURNT tentative decision reached in consultation JMBLUG that on balance preferable mission remain because:
- Withdrawal would convince army hopelessness receiving help from mission and might discourage those who opposed to govt.
- Presence of mission serves as channel for pressing idea that arms not now available because of nature of govt.
- As situation deteriorates some army officers may turn to mission with info or for advice. Doubt they would feel close enough to approach non military Embassy people.
2. JMBLUG will advise his appreciation of situation on return and make final recommendation. Consider mission can be more effective para 1B than in past.
3. Request your comment prior proposed meeting with appropriate military authority early next week.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 4, Folder 2. Secret; Routine; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS. Drafted by [name not declassified] on April 30, cleared by Wisner, and approved by Kermit Roosevelt.↩