140. Telegram From the Central Intelligence Agency to Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida1
Washington, May 1, 1954, 1948Z.
- In discussion ODACID tentative
thinking pending meeting following ODACID’s review of LCPANGS situation with Ambassador is:
- No approach whatever should be made Somoza either by Magoffin or local ODACID chief as outlined ref A paras 3 and 4. ODACID reaffirms ruling against such representations on matters related to PBSUCCESS by its representatives to any foreign government.
- ODACID concurs re in ref B action which might interpreted to be for info intell purposes only.
- FYI: ODACID plans instruct local chiefs KMFLUSH and LCPANGS to renew efforts pacific settlement present tension in line with ODACID parallel action in OAS but such efforts will in no way be related to PBSUCCESS nor will any reference be made to revelations described in ref B.
- Complexities of LCPANGS situation and best course to follow in observing PBSUCCESS needs will be discussed Tuesday. Request at that time LINC appreciation of possibility [name not declassified] may be using PBSUCCESS also as cloak for move against LCPANGS. If we conclude that such possibility exists we shall have to decide what position to take vis-à-vis [name not declassified].