Memorandum by Colonel Charles H. Bonesteel, III, Special Assistant to the Secretary of State, to the Under Secretary of State ( Webb )
[ Washington ,] April 17, 1951.
Subject: The “Working Doctrine” for the Foreign Aid Presentation
- Attached are two copies of the “working doctrine” which you originally dictated some time ago.1
- This present version incorporates the ideas of Paul Nitze2 and Mr. Harriman and has been cleared in general with Messrs. Lovett and Foster and General Bradley3 in addition to Mr. Harriman and Paul Nitze.
- We do not anticipate any particular widespread use of the doctrine, but it has been extremely helpful in permitting us to get on the beam. If you agree with the paper in its present shape, you may wish to show a copy to the Secretary.4
- The attachments do not accompany the file copy. The source text of the document which is attached is located in FRC Acc. No. 62A613, Box 124.↩
- Director of the Policy Planning Staff.↩
- General of the Army Omar N. Bradley, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.↩
- No evidence has been found to confirm that the paper was seen by the Secretary of State.↩