369. Information Report Prepared in the Central Intelligence Agency1
- Government Offer to Khosrow Khan Qashqai
- [1 line not declassified]
1. Prime Minister Zahedi and his Cabinet members agreed on 10 June 1954 to offer tribal leader Khosrow Khan Qashqai two million Rials (approximately $25,000) to leave Iran.
2. This action was taken following Khosrow Khan’s refusal to leave the country, as ordered by the Shah, on the ground that he lacked funds to live abroad and had no choice except to fight if his expulsion by force were attempted.
3. In deciding to offer cash, the Iranian Government agreed that it was cheaper to pay Khosrow Khan than to send a military force against the tribal stronghold near Firuzabad.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, DDI Files, Job 80–00810A, Box 43, Folder 91, CS Information Reports 40510–40519. Secret; Control—U.S. Officials Only.↩
- CS–36201, April 19, reported on Mohammed Hoseyn Qashqai’s departure from Iran, and that “the Qashqai leaders at present enjoy a friendly relationship with Prime Minister Zahedi, but they continue to be suspicious of the Shah and Army Chief of Staff General Nadr Batmangelich.” (Ibid., Box 40, Folder 15, CS Information Reports 36200–36209)↩
- CS–33633, March 17, reported on the agreement reached between the Qashqai and the Zahedi government. According to this report, Nasr Khan agreed to remain in Iran during the summer tribal migration, to be led by Malek Mansur Qashqai, but Mohammad Hoseyn Qashqai and his family would leave Iran for Eruope. (Ibid., Box 38, Folder 17, CS Information Reports 33630–33639)↩