329. Memorandum by the Chief of the Near East and Africa Division, Directorate of Plans, Central Intelligence Agency (Roosevelt)1
The following information from Tehran, Iran, dated 1–4 October, is evaluated at 3. Source of this information is [1 line not declassified]. Subject of the information is “Activities of Mullah Kashani”.
1. A Soviet Embassy Attaché who speaks Persian and claims to be a Moslem, met a representative of Mullah Kashani on the night of 1 October at the home of engineer Gholim (first name unknown), official architect to the Soviet Embassy. The Attaché told Kashani’s representative that the Shah and the Iranian Army were becoming stronger every day and that, if Kashani wants to maintain his position, he must organize the National Front again.
2. Kashani organized a meeting for the night of 4 October at the home of former deputy, Yusef Moshar. The meeting was attended by Kashani, Moshar, Hoseyn Makki and Haerizadeh, who agreed to reform the National Front movement.[Page 782]
3. Source does not believe that Kashani is being paid by the Soviets. However, Kashani told source on the day after the overthrow of former Prime Minister Mossadeq that Iran must get along with the Soviets and must not provoke them to act against Iran.
4. Kashani hoped to enlist one hundred Mullahs in Iran to preach for him.
5. Source believes that Kashani will not support the Zahedi government and will lead the National Movement against Zahedi, thus representing dangerous threat in the oil settlement.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, DDO Files, Job 80–01701R, Box 3, Folder 12, Misc. Correspondence—TPAJAX. Secret.↩