14. Memorandum From the Chief of the Political Operations Staff, Near East and Africa Division ([name not declassified]) to the Chief of the Near East and Africa Division, Directorate of Plans, Central Intelligence Agency (Roosevelt)1
- NSC 107, The Position of the United States with Respect to Iran2
1. On 24 March the President approved and directed the implementation of NSC 107 by all agencies concerned under the coordination of the Secretary of State.
2. NSC 107 calls for plans and preparations in conjunction with the United Kingdom to counter possible communist subversion in Iran and to increase support of the pro-western Iranian Government in the event of communist seizure of power, such plans and preparations to include conduct of “special political operations” by the United States and the United Kingdom, and in the event the Iranian Government should take steps leading toward communist control in Iran, the United States should be prepared to undertake “special political operations” to reverse the trend and effect Iranian alignment with the free world. The quoted term is used in NSC documents to indicate OPC-type operations.
3. Other sections of NSC 107 call for measures to be taken by the United States which may well be supported by OPC-type activities.
4. NSC 107 should be taken into account in the current preparation of your strategic plan for Iran.