The Ambassador in France (Bruce) to the Secretary of State
283. Excon. Reference Embtel 242, July 13. Following is today’s CoCom action US proposals North Korea and China controls:
- Agreed note that all PC’s are applying presently agreed Eastern European controls to both North Korea and Red China.
- Above action taken in lieu recommendation because of
- Denmark uninstructed on China controls but in any event exercises no export control.
- Canada unable give formal assurance List II controls being applied, although delegation pointed out Canada controls all exports to China and is taking particular care re reexport to North Korea.
- Netherlands has exported nothing to North Korea in past six months and measures will be taken to see that this situation continued. Export controls to China cannot be connected with North Korean situation. China is different from East Europe and control can only be effected if cooperation obtained from Far Eastern non-PC’s, However, pending further consideration by all interested countries, Netherlands now applies International Lists I and II and Munitions List controls to North Korea and Red China.
Sent Department 283, repeated info Bern 9, Brussels 31, Copenhagen 4, Frankfort 48, Hague 25, London 83, Oslo 4, Rome 33, Stockholm 6, Vienna 14.