The Chief of the Latin American Branch, General Staff, United States Army ( Freeman ), to the Director of Plans and Operations, General Staff, United States Army ( Wedemeyer )1
[ Washington ,] 4 June 1948.
- At a conference with the Secretary of the Army on 21 May 1948, the
Argentine Minister of War presented a memorandum which stated in
- The Argentines appreciated the offer of the surplus property which was indicated to be available in the interim replies of March and May 1948 and which had been requested in List 1 of the Critten-berger Memorandum of 8 December 1947.2
- The Argentines had reduced their request for complete
organizational units of equipment and now desired to procure
complete units of organizational equipment for only:
- 1 self-propelled 40mm antiaircraft battery;
- 1 company of medium tanks;
- 1 company of light tanks;
- 1 reconnaissance troop of the armored division;
- 1 headquarters and service troop of the armored division;
- 1 battery of self-propelled 105mm howitzers.
- Assistance was also requested from the United States Army in the procurement from commercial sources of additional military equipment.
- To provide the Argentine Government with the six organizational units set forth above, the President was requested to authorize the sale of this matériel under Public Resolution No. 83 of 1940. At noon on 3 June 1948, the President authorized the Secretary of the Army to make the sale. ...
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
P. L. Freeman, Jr.