501.BC Indonesia/9–2548: Telegram
The Consul General at Batavia (Livengood) to the Secretary of State 1
us urgent
834. Gocus 391. NethDel handed me September 23, 5:30 p. m. text note verbale date September 17 which was presented by Netherlands Foreign Minister to Department and was “important communication” concerning which Schuurman telegraphed me Kaliurang (Gocus 3772). One hour after Riphagen delivered document, Schuurman telephoned and USDel went his office. He began discuss note verbale. We explained no time study this document and had only same afternoon received summary from Department (Usgoc 1453) of conversations with Netherlands Foreign Minister. We offered come back later in evening for detailed discussion if provided 1 or 2 hours study.
Conversation turned to 3 documents I had delivered Schuurman namely RepDel’s 2 letters acceptance and letter re procedural policy for filing RepDel report with SC. Schuurman termed RepDel communications blackmail and protested against their fixing conditions for acceptance USDel plan and establishing deadline for Netherlands acceptance or alternative filing by RepDel of protest with SC. USDel reviewed its efforts with both RepDel and NethDel to eliminate incidents and measures tending to make resumption negotiations difficult.
NethDel returned to subject their note verbale. USDel explained once more no changes in USDel draft possible before negotiations begin unless both parties agree thereto. USDel pointed out likely difficulty of having informal discussions toward this end in present conditions and especially prior acceptance USDel draft as basis negotiations by NethDel. USDel indicated readiness clarify points in draft which NethDel apparently misunderstood or found unclear.
At GOC meeting forenoon September 24, I said Schuurman told me Netherlands comments on RepDel report to SC would be delivered GOC during day. GOC asked secretariat draft GOC comments on RepDel and NethDel reports soonest.
Netherlands paper received later afternoon and 1 copy immediately given RepDel. (GOCUS conference September 24, 5 p. m.) Two hours profitably spent clarifying USDel draft in light NethDel note verbale [Page 372] and Usgoc 145. USDel reminded NethDel expiration RepDel time limit September 24.
11 p. m. September 24 Riphagen and Stuyt visited USDel. They said they came on own responsibility just after receiving important cablegram from Hague and without opportunity consult Schuurman. They said “message received by NethDel from Hague night September 24 to effect that before October 1 substantial contribution to resumption: negotiations will come forward on part of Netherlands Government.” They did not know whether this forecast acceptance USDel draft. They explained time limits had been close, communications with Hague slow and deliberations of Netherlands authorities require time. They regretted any occurrences which would vitiate further atmosphere for negotiations. I volunteered get above message to Hatta soonest convinced their good faith and acting on my responsibility. I said I should have word by 7 p. m. September 25 to any action Hatta may take on this message.
We made it clear to NethDel that, (1) should Netherlands reject USDel plan after seeking Hatta delay report SC, Republic would in our opinion have stronger ease on record than it now has, (2) should there be any military action during period of delay made at instance-Netherlands Government, it would be difficult put forward convincing: case for delay, (3) Hatta would undoubtedly interpret “substantial contribution to resumption negotiations” as forecasting Netherlands acceptance USDel plan and that under circumstances we ourselves would regard such interpretation by Hatta as reasonable.
September 25, 6 a. m. I handed Arthur Campbell4 typed text message above quoted. I gave him orally background with respect RepDel procedure for filing report SC and circumstances in which message delivered me. Campbell was departing 7 a. m. by plane for Jogja. I told him see Hatta soonest, deliver typed message, explain background and let him know I am doing everything possible with NethDel to improve atmosphere and expedite acceptance. Asked Campbell send back message by American pilot in afternoon as to Hatta’s reaction. Signed Cochran.