740.00119 Control (Germany)/12–2748
Proposal by the United States Delegation to the London Conference on the Ruhr 1
Relationship of Allocations and O.E.E.C. Programmes
With respect to the relations between the functions of the Authority under Article 14 and the preparation of proposed programmes or [Page 576]plans for submission to O.E.E.C., it is agreed that the following principles will be applicable:
- When proposed programmes or plans for submission to the O.E.E.C. are being prepared by the responsible authorities in Germany, proposals included in such programmes or plans with respect to the export of Ruhr coal, coke and steel and the amounts to be retained in Germany will be submitted to the Authority. The Authority will review such proposals and make tentative findings with respect to the export of Ruhr coal, coke and steel for the period covered by the programme or plan.
- During the Control Period, or until such earlier time as may be agreed upon by the Occupying Powers concerned, the Authority’s findings will be incorporated by the responsible authorities in Germany in the proposed programme or plan submitted to the O.E.E.C. to the extent consistent with the terms of any existing agreement among the Occupying Powers governing the export of coal or coke from Germany and with any agreements relative to the provision of financial assistance to Germany which are now or may come in effect between any two or more of the Occupying Powers. The determination of whether the findings of the Authority are consistent with such agreements will be made by the Occupation Authorities concerned.
- After the Control Period, or after such earlier time as may be agreed upon by the Occupying Powers concerned, the Authority’s findings will be incorporated by the responsible authorities in Germany in the proposed programme or plan submitted to the O.E.E.C.
- As the review of the proposed programme or plan proceeds in the O.E.E.C., the representatives of Germany may consider and consent to such changes in the coal, coke and steel sections of the programme or plan as may be agreed in O.E.E.C. The programme or plan as finally adopted by the O.E.E.C. shall be transmitted to the Authority. The Authority shall take such action as may be necessary to ensure that its findings are consistent with such programme or plan.
- Appropriate procedures to ensure the carrying out of the above principles will be agreed from time to time between the Authority, the Occupation Authorities concerned and other responsible authorities in Germany.
- At a meeting on December 19, the London
Conference reached the following agreement regarding this U.S.
Delegation proposal (the decision was subsequently circulated to
the Conference as document RC/24):
“Delegates (at a plenary meeting on 19th December) took note of a United States memorandum on the relationship between the functions of the Authority under Article 14 (c) of the Agreement and the preparation of proposed programmes or plans for submission to O.E.E.C., circulated to the delegations as RC/19, and agreed that this document represented the procedure contemplated by all delegations.” (740.00119 Control (Germany)/1–1249)
Regarding this decision, see also telegram 5298, Ruhrto 54, supra.