Marshall Mission Files, Lot 54–D270

General Chou En-lai to General Marshall

Dear General Marshall: Enclosed I am submitting for your information three memoranda concerning matters relevant to the execution of the Truce Agreement. I hope that they will be helpful to you for searching the true light of the field situation since deadline of the Cease-Fire order.

Faithfully yours,

[Signature in Chinese]
Chou En-lai
[Enclosure 1]

Memorandum by General Chou En-lai to General Marshall

No. 101.2–8

Subject: On Attacks made by the Nationalist Troops on Communist-led Troops and Areas.

Following table compiled from reports received here for the period ending 2400 January 25th shows major incidents of truce violation on part of Nationalist forces since the truce deadline:

[Here follows list of twenty-three incidents.]

[Enclosure 2]

Memorandum by General Chou En-lai to General Marshall

No. 101.2–9

Subject: On Receiving Surrender of Japanese Troops Which Are Surrounded by Communist-led Forces.

With regard to the receiving surrender of Japanese troops it has been understood in the Truce Agreement that the disarmament and movement of Japanese soldiers should be effected upon the instruction of the Executive Headquarters. However, I received lately reports from various places stating that the Nationalist forces, instead of consulting the Communists, have either upon their own initiative received surrender of those Japanese forces, which are surrounded by the Communist-led troops and by right should have surrendered to the latter, or have upon the instruction of the Nationalist military authority ordered [Page 385] concentration of the Japanese to certain places paying no regard to Truce Agreement. The cases of such violation are as follows:

After the 15,000 Japanese of the 65th and 72nd Brigades have been disarmed at Hsinpu, Haichow (also named Tunghai), a part of them, numbering 1,200, was ordered to march westward at 1000, on January 14th. As the Communist-led forces were not consulted with beforehand, armed clashes ensued. This is the fact, upon which the Ministry of Military Operations has based its charges against the Communist-led forces asserting that they have attacked Paitafu railway station (14 miles west of Haichow).
Around 3,000 Japanese soldiers at Tsangchow, Hsingtai, Tsing-hsien and Tungpochen (within 70 miles south of Tientsin on Tientsin-Pukow Railway) were ordered by the 97th Army on January 14th to be disarmed, and after changed into civilian clothes to move on January 16th to Tientsin.
Japanese soldiers in the vicinity strongholds of Shihchiachwang (railway junction in West Hopei) were ordered by Nationalist troops on January 18th to concentrate at Shihchiachwang.

It is desired that such actions shall immediately cease, and the Peiping Executive Headquarters will decide in each case which Chinese army shall execute the acceptance of surrender at that particular area.

[Enclosure 3]

Memorandum by General Chou En-lai to General Marshall

No. 101.2–10

Subject: Denial on Government Charges of Truce Violation on Part of Communist-led Forces.

With reference to the recent charges made by the Ministry of Military Operations that Communist-led troops at Yuanshih (railway town south of Shihchiachwang), Anyang (railway town south of the Honan-Hopei border), Hsiuwu (railway town west of Hsinhsiang, North Honan), Chü-ao (111°30′, 35°39′), and Chungyang (also named Ninghsiang, 111°13′, 37°14′) have violated Truce Agreement, I have upon my enquiry received the following reports from Yenan:

Yuanshih town was purely garrisoned by Japanese and puppet troops. It was encircled by Eighteenth Group Army and local people’s militia forces ever since days prior to the overall Japanese surrender. Throughout the past month, the Communist-led forces have only besieged the town, but never conducted any operation.
Anyang town, purely garrisoned by puppets, was besieged by Communist-led troops since quite a long while. However, the Communist-led troops have taken no aggressive action. Since the truce deadline hostilities have completely ceased.
Hsiuwu town was first liberated by Communist-led troops in last September; subsequently it was wrested away by Nationalist forces. Since the truce deadline the Communist-led forces suspended their attack on puppet troops in the southeast suburb and withdrew. No effort has been made to attack the town.
Chü-ao town was abandoned by the Communist-led forces right on receipt of the Cease-Fire order. No offensive action has been taken subsequently.
Chungyang (Ninghsiang) town was in the hands of the Communist-led troops since a long time. The charges made by Nationalist military authority that Communist-led troops had attacked the town on 14 and 16 January are entirely without foundation.

From the above reports it may be seen that the charges made by the Ministry of Military Operations and the Central News in the aforementioned cases are devoid of any factual basis.