893.00/1–2546: Telegram

Mr. Walter S. Robertson to the Secretary of State

4. Executive Headquarters has established following principles and procedures to implement cease-fire order: Orders to be issued (via radio to local commanders, in leaflets dropped by planes and in newspapers and broadcasts) to commanders of troops engaged in fighting since issuance of cease-fire order as follows:8

If one side occupies city, opposing force to withdraw 1 day’s march from points of contact;
If opposing forces both in or at city, both to withdraw 1 day’s march from points of contact;
If in open, both sides to withdraw 1 day’s march from points of contact;
Cease-fire order to be communicated to all troops and enforced immediately;
After separation of forces and cessation fighting, positions held as of midnight Jan. 13 to be restored in accord with foregoing;
Opposing commanders in field to appoint liaison units to work with Executive Headquarters field teams;
1 day’s march to be considered as 60 miles but field team and local liaison units may make by common consent possible adjustment of this distance in accordance with local conditions etc.; and
Final judgment on responsibility for conflict and final adjustment of positions to be made later.

Teams have now been sent by Headquarters to following points through January 22:

Chining (east Suiyuan), Chihfeng (Jehol), Tatung, Hsuchow, Kalgan, Tsinan, Canton.

Team has also been sent from Hankow to Sinyang-Kuangshan area (south Honan) and additional team sent to point 10 miles south of Peiping to make brief investigation of alleged Communist attack. U.S. member latter team reports Communists and guerrilla forces in surrounding areas are preventing shipment food stuffs into Peiping. Teams at Chining, Tatung, Chihfeng and Taian (south of Tsinan) report cessation of conflict these areas and Hsuchow team reports decrease in conflict. U.S. planes have carried out extensive leaflet dropping missions covering about 50 points in Kupeikou and Tatung areas and along Pinghan and Tsinpu rail lines from Peiping south. (My No. 3, Jan. 25.)

Following priorities for field teams established under principle decided upon by Executive Headquarters for sending senior teams to central points in agreed upon zones with secondary teams to operate from these points in surrounding areas in respective zones:

Senior teams—1 Chining, 2 Tsinan, 3 Hsuchow, 4 Canton, 5 Kuangshan, 6 Chiaotso (north Honan), 7 Chengteh (Jehol), 8 Taiyuan, 9 Shihchiachuang.

Secondary teams—1 Chihfeng, 2 Kalgan, 3 Tatung, 4 Houma and Wenhsi (south Shansi), 5 Tehsien (north Shantung).

Crew and plane detained by Soviets at Chihfeng Jan. 14 released and returned Peiping Jan. 20. Crew reports cordial treatment by Soviet military authorities who explained detention arose from crew’s lack of credentials, establishing identity and purpose of mission. Soviets welcomed field team’s arrival which was preceded by leaflet dropping mission Jan. 15 and were friendly to U.S. Correspondents who later visited Chihfeng. Soviets informed crew first plane and field team they planned withdrawal Jan. 23 to be completed Feb. 1. According U.S. Correspondents, Soviet Forces [at] Chihfeng withdrew from that city Oct. 20 but returned Oct. 31, at request of Chungking. Chinese forces Chihfeng said by local authorities there to be Peace Preservation Corps unit of about 1200 men under Jehol Provincial Govt, and not part of 8th Route Army or of other Communist units. 8th Route Army Forces reported by field team to be to north [Page 380] and at point about 15 miles west of Chihfeng and Central Govt. Forces 8 to 12 miles east of that city.

Sent Dept, repeated Chungking.

  1. This was Executive Headquarters General Directive No. 2, January 20.