285. Memorandum From the Assistant Executive Secretary of the National Security Council (Lay) to Director of Central Intelligence Hillenkoetter 0
Attached is the proposed NSC Directive which is based upon your paper of June 4, 1948 on the establishment of an Office of Special Services.1[Page 700]
As indicated in our phone conversation this morning, the attached will be discussed at an NSC Staff meeting at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow in Room 224, Old State Building.
- Source: National Archives and Records Administration, RG 273, Records of the National Security Council, NSC 10/2. Top Secret.↩
- Not printed.(Ibid.) See the Supplement.↩
- Printed from a copy that bears this typed signature.↩
- Although there were editorial changes and some rearrangement of paragraphs, this draft closely follows the text of the CIA draft mentioned in the covering memorandum and footnote 1 above. The major difference between the two versions is that the NSC reworking broadens the authority of the Operations Advisory Committee and gives its members a right of appeal to the NSC in disputes with the Director of Central Intelligence.↩