254. Memorandum From Director of Central Intelligence Hillenkoetter to the Executive Secretary of the National Security Council (Souers)0
- Reference is made to NSC 4–A (Report to the National Security Council by The Executive Secretary on Psychological Operations) as distributed under date of 9 December 1947,1 with particular reference to the proposed Directive To The Director of Central Intelligence.
- In the event the subject project is implemented, it is requested that
consideration be given to rewording paragraph 3.b., of the proposed
Directive to The DCI as follows:
“b. The senior U.S. diplomatic representative in each area, and the military commander in each occupied area, will be kept informed of psychological operations being conducted in areas under their jurisdiction.”
- We feel the suggested rewording will satisfy the intent of the
original wording and will—
- Provide greater security to our organized covert operations, and
- Will follow the existing interdepartmental agreement that the senior U.S. representative in each foreign area is responsible for the coordination of all overt intelligence activities.
Rear Admiral, USN