156. Memorandum From the Director of Central Intelligence (Vandenberg) to the Intelligence Advisory Board0
Washington, June 20, 1946.
FUNCTIONS OF THE DIRECTOR OF CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE
- Minutes, I.A.B. 2nd Meeting, Item 41
- Minutes, I.A.B. 3rd Meeting, Item 12
- C.I.G. 1/13
- Minutes, I.A.B. 5th Meeting, Item 14
- The former and the present Directors of Central Intelligence are in agreement that the initial organizing and planning stages of the Central Intelligence Group have been completed, and that the time has arrived to request that the National Intelligence Authority authorize the Director of Central Intelligence to undertake certain operations and functions of vital importance to the national intelligence mission. The enclosed report to the National Intelligence Authority is designed to obtain that authority.
- Attention is invited to the fact that the provisions of paragraph 2 of Appendix “A” hereto have been previously discussed in reference b. The provisions of paragraph 4 a of Appendix “A” hereto were briefly discussed in reference a. Paragraph 4 b is intended to serve in lieu of the revision of C.I.G. 1/1 agreed in reference d. Paragraph 3 of Appendix “A” hereto has not been previously discussed by the Intelligence Advisory Board, although its concept has been incorporated in approved papers on specific problems involving the coordination of intelligence activities.
- It is recommended that the Intelligence Advisory Board concur in the submittal of the Enclosure for consideration by the National Intelligence Authority.
Hoyt S. Vandenberg 5
Lieutenant General, USA
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency Historical Files, HS/HC–276. Top Secret; Limited Distribution.↩
- Document 144.↩
- Document 146.↩
- Dated April 26; see footnote 1, Document 155.↩
- Document 155.↩
- Printed from a copy that bears this typed signature.↩
- As indicated in Vandenberg’s covering memorandum, the report was submitted to the National Intelligence Authority.↩
- Document 71.↩
- Document 141.↩
- Document 142.↩
- In a June 26 memorandum Vandenberg submitted a “corrected” form of the draft NIA Directive “based upon informal discussions of C.I.G. 10.” At this point the following phrase was added; “subject to the provisions of the said letter.” (Central Intelligence Agency Historical Files, HS/HC–276) See the Supplement.↩
- In Vandenberg’s correction of June 26 the rest of this sentence reads: “and that of the appropriate member of the Intelligence Advisory Board, be required to supplement the research and analysis performed by the State, War and Navy Departments in the fields of primary interest to each of those Departments.”↩
- The last sentence of paragraph 2 was eliminated in the June 26 draft.↩
- In the June 26 draft “executive” was omitted.↩
- In the June 26 draft the phrase “as determined by the respective Departments,” was added at this point.↩
- The phrase “by mutual agreement between the Director of Central Intelligence and the official now responsible” became in the June 26 draft “as agreed to by the Director of Central Intelligence and the official responsible”.↩