The Secretary of State to the Ambassador in Chile (Bowers)
80. Your 118, January 22 , 10 p.m. and 120, January 21, 2 a.m. Following consideration of this question today the following matériel will be made available for delivery to the Chilean Government provided that Government signs a lend lease agreement:
1. From the War Department:
- About 15 airplanes of the advanced trainer type with U. S. Army crews to train Chilean personnel;
- The 25 scout cars included in the list of lend lease munitions requested by Chile;
- The 134, 81-mm mortars included in the lend lease list of munitions requested by Chile;
- The 4,000 rounds of 155-mm Howitzer ammunition included in the list of lend lease munitions desired by Chile;
- Approximately 300 motor vehicles of various types included in the list of lend lease munitions desired by Chile;
- Items (b), (c), (d) and (e) can be dispatched at once;
- Ammunition to be furnished by increments.
2. From the Navy Department:
- 3 Stearmann training planes (for which the Chileans have stated they are willing to pay cash);
- 2 Observation Scout OS2U–3;
- Cement, oil and gasoline as may be requested.
You are instructed not to take any action with respect to this list until you receive specific instructions from Mr. Welles.