The Ambassador in the United Kingdom (Winant) to the Secretary of State
[Received February 18—3:45 p.m.]
752. Your 616, February 17, 6 p.m. This question has been taken up urgently with the Foreign Office which is hopeful that it can obtain prompt agreement of the authorities concerned to permit this shipment direct to Greece. It is doubtful whether it can obtain agreement for shipment to Turkey. However, it thinks that direct shipment from New York would reach Greece as quickly as proposed shipment from Turkey because of probable delay in negotiations with Turkey and particularly in view of lack of available ships in Turkish ports.