The Secretary of State to the Chargé in Switzerland ( Huddle )
406. Your 436, 25th and Department’s 344, 19th. Please inform Swiss Government as follows for transmission to German Government:
All members of German Embassy at Washington and their dependents have been assembled at the well known Greenbrier Hotel at White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia.
In particular the following conditions apply:
- The whole group is permitted freely to move about in an extensive area of the park grounds outside the hotel. This area includes the mineral springs.
- The German Chargé d’Affaires with his wife can upon request also visit the town.
- The representative of the Swiss Legation is permitted free access to the German group at all times.
- There is unrestricted two-way telephone communication at all times between the German group and the Swiss Legation at Washington.
- Postal communication between the Swiss Legation and the German group is also permitted.
Since diplomatic relations were severed, the Government of the United States under international law has treated on a reciprocal basis the former representatives of the governments with which it is now at war.