The Chargé in Switzerland ( Huddle ) to the Secretary of State
[Received December 25—11 a.m.]
436. Legation received at 12 noon today note from Swiss Foreign Office quoting as follows text of telegram just received from Swiss [Page 294] Legation, Berlin, regarding treatment American diplomatic personnel in Germany and German personnel in United States (translation in [from] German):
“Ministry of Foreign Affairs makes following statement regarding Americans at Nauheim.9
- Freedom of movement for whole group is given for time being outside of hotel both in grounds of hotel and of nearby mineral springs pavilion.
- The Chargé d’Affaires with his sister-in-law can upon his request also visit the town.
- The representative of the protecting power can enter at any time.
- Telephone connection between Minister Steiner of Swiss Legation in Berlin and Chargé d’Affaires Morris is permitted.
- Postal connection between the Legation and American group is also permitted. (End of statement.)
“Inform our (Swiss) Embassy in Washington immediately to demand exactly similar treatment for German group in White Sulphur Springs. A satisfactory adjustment (Regelung) is requested within 48 hours or otherwise reprisals must be expected here.”
For Department’s information Legation communicated contents Department’s 344, December 19 to Swiss Foreign Office on December 21 for information German Government.
- American official personnel and dependents in Germany had been assembled at Nauheim.↩