The Consul General at Shanghai (Lockhart) to the Secretary of State
[Received 2:19 p.m.]
320. Reference paragraph 1 Department’s 179, March 19, 8 p.m., concerning courts. First Special District Court and Second Branch of Kiangsu High Court moved from north of Soochow creek to American defense sector on August 14, 1937 the day after the outbreak of hostilities in the Shanghai area. Following conclusion of hostilities here the criminal division of the First Special District Court moved back on December 6, 1937 to its original location north of Soochow creek. At the present time Civil Division of District Court and Second Branch of the High Court are located in the American defense sector. It might also be mentioned that the Central Bank of China has recently opened a branch in the American section (the Banks of China and Communications have had branches in the American section for many years) and that the Chinese language paper operated by the Shanghai Evening Post and Mercury has also recently moved into the American section.
Sent to the Department. Repeated to Chungking and Peiping.