819.52G31/18: Telegram

The Secretary of State to the Chargé in Panama ( Flexer )

25. Your 52, June 20, 2 p.m. It is probable that the War Department can take action as suggested in the last paragraph of your [Page 825] despatch 369 of June 4.31 A definite decision is expected today or tomorrow. Your comment is requested on the following points:

If the War Department is to offer to lease the property, should the offer be made in Panama or to Elliott before he leaves New York?
If the negotiations take place in Panama, will the company’s representatives advise Elliott in New York, or should that be done from Washington?
What is your opinion of a fair rental on the basis of a 5-year lease with option of purchase?

  1. See footnote 30, p. 824.