851.5151/1928: Telegram

The Ambassador in France (Bullitt) to the Secretary of State

1274. From Cochran. Rueff telephoned me at 1:45 p.m. that De Murville had given him my message (see my 1272 August 13, 8 p.m.). Rueff had then drafted a common statement and had spoken by telephone with Marchandeau thereon. The Minister of Finance felt that they should not attempt any final drafting for transmission to us until they had received some reaction from the British to Bonnet’s note.

Rueff promised to call me if they had any draft to communicate on Monday but thought it most likely that they would have nothing until they were all back in Paris Tuesday morning. He was holding his own draft as a basis for their discussions at that time in which he thought Prime Minister Daladier might also enter. I stressed to him as I had to De Murville our desire to know what they are going to do toward holding the franc while a communiqué is being prepared and then after it is issued. I made clear that we could not give our assent to a draft statement the same day it was submitted to us. He understood this and gave up the idea of issuing any communiqué on Tuesday although he still hopes to give us a draft text on that day at latest. We can thus see how the Paris market develops on Tuesday before having to take any decision.

I telephoned the foregoing to Secretary Morgenthau at Antibes at 4 p.m. and I am instructed to speak with him Monday night at Brianon. [Cochran.]