711.652/128: Telegram

The Ambassador in Italy (Phillips) to the Secretary of State

491. Department’s telegram No. 183, November 27, 6 p.m. In discussing the terms of the temporary arrangement with the Italian authorities this morning they agree in principle to the arrangement but request a delay of a few days before proceeding to the exchange of notes in order that it may be determined whether it will be possible to sign the treaty this week or early next week. In that event they would prefer to enter into the temporary arrangement at the same time which would require a slight modification in the wording of our note.

They are most anxious to resume negotiations on the treaty points still remaining at issue and hope that the Embassy will shortly receive instructions on these points.