The Minister in Switzerland ( Wilson ) to the Secretary of State
[Received December 2—12:55 p.m.]
91. For Williamson.7 Your letter November 20th.8 Invocation of escape clause would, I fear, have consequences far wider than those touching Swiss-American relations only. Hence, I urge action be delayed, if possible, pending Secretary’s return to Washington. If, however, Department considers immediate action indispensable, please authorize me endeavor negotiate voluntary arrangement with Stucki before escape clause invoked. Statement showing certain aspects of this question as seen from this side forwarded by Bremen December 5th.