852.00/2582: Telegram

The Third Secretary of Embassy in Spain (Wendelin) to the Secretary of State

X–54. At meeting Diplomatic Corps, Madrid, this afternoon Chilean Ambassador announced that he intended to close Embassy here and move to Alicante because Government unable to guarantee safety. It was agreed to ask our respective Governments for authority to leave Madrid in body if Diplomatic Corps should decide such move necessary. Meeting called for noon August 15, to discuss this possibility further. Meanwhile Chilean Ambassador will defer departure. Mexican Chargé d’Affaires announced that his Embassy would remain in Madrid in any event. British representative stated that he did not intend to leave for time being because of large number of British subjects here who still refused to leave. I am of same opinion. Am making every effort to persuade American nationals to leave while opportunity to do so still open. Cruiser Quincy prepared to go to Alicante to evacuate them next Sunday if sufficient number can be persuaded to go.