The Acting Secretary of State to the Ambassador in Cuba (Welles)
38. From Caffery.12 In view of the second last sentence of your telegram No. 62, May 25, 5 p.m., I talked this morning on the telephone [Page 574] to representatives of Chase and National City. They both agreed to take no definite steps in this matter until they have conferred again with me. Chase, however, stated he hoped it would not be necessary to hold it up any considerable length of time. National City expressed earnest hope that Machado would not resort to threatened moratorium.
- Jefferson Caffery, Assistant Secretary of State.↩